For the current coronavirus, please follow our article about Coronavirus for the latest information as we get it.
Currently, if you think you have an active viral infection that may be the coronavirus, do NOT use antivirals during the infection. Complications can arise.
What is Fire Cider?
Spicy, sour, sweet, fruity. Fire cider is amazing stuff that can help boost your immune system and give your body the ability to kick any crud attacking it. It is a wonderful addition to your medicine cabinet and is very easy to make. In fact, if you’ve made a tincture, you already know how to make fire cider!
Working with the moon cycles can make your tinctures even more powerful. Start your tinctures and fire ciders on the new moon and decant on the full moon for stronger brews. Allowing the 6 weeks from a new moon to the following full moon makes even better results, but if you need your fire cider quicker, you can just wait the two weeks.
How much do I take?
It is up to you in the end. I recommend it be taken daily as an immune boost through the fall and winter. To do so, take as little as 1 tsp, 1-2 tbsp, or up to 2 ounces a day. You can even take 1 tsp hourly to fight off a cold!
It can be added to water, juice, cold or hot tea, or other beverages as desired.
It is amazing as a “dressing” over roasted vegetables or as an addition to a vinaigrette.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 head garlic chopped
- 1 horseradish root chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 lemon zest, juice, sliced
- 1 lime zest, juice, sliced
- 1 orange zest, juice, sliced
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp dried cayenne
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper
- cinnamon stick
- 1-2 32oz bottles raw apple cider vinegar with "mother"
- 1 cup raw honey or to taste (optional)
- turmeric chopped (optional)
- echinacea (optional)
- jalapeno chopped (optional)
- Place herbs in a half-gallon canning jar and cover with raw apple cider vinegar by at least 3-4 inches
- Cover tightly (some say a plastic lid is better)
- Allow to brew in a cool, dark place for at least two weeks. Shake daily
- Strain the liquid, squeeze the herbs out well. A nut bag or cheesecloth is very helpful
- Add honey to taste (warming can help a bit)
- Rebottle and store in the fridge