It’s the most wonderful time of the year, right? Not for everyone. Although there is a myth about suicide rates increasing (and this is truly a myth that concerns mental health care professionals because it can lead to someone not seeking help during the holidays), it is true that family functions, money concerns, work and school stresses, and even the simple changes in the season can make the holidays very difficult for some people.
In this two part article, we will cover some of the natural, holistic things you can do to help yourself or your loved ones through this time of the year.
- Leafy Greens (especially dandelion green)
- Sprouted, organic, raw nuts & seeds (especially walnut)
- 2+ tbsp Healthy Fats daily (organic butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. especially flaxseed oil)
- AVOIDS: alcohol, fried and junk foods, allergenic foods, baker’s and brewer’s yeast, caffeine, cheese, chocolate, dairy products, herring, meat tenderizers, phenylalanine, saturated fats and oils, soy sauce, all forms of sugar, yeast extracts.
- Vitamin B Complex (especially B2, B6, B12, biotin, & inositol)
- Bodywork / Massage
- Color & Light Therapy
- Sound Therapy
- Chakra Work
- Whole Body Tuning
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Energy Work
- Light Healing Touch
- Magnets & Polarity Therapy
- Get outside during daylight hours. Go for a walk, sit in on the porch and watch the activity of daily life, play at the park with the kids, whatever it is, it is important to be outside for some time during daylight hours to help the pineal gland regulate.
- Just as important, sleep in total darkness. Again, the pineal gland needs the cycles of light and dark to properly regulate itself.
- Parasites can cause emotional symptoms like depression. Consider getting tested to see if you have parasites by your Naturopath and start a parasite cleansing protocol.
- Lifestyle additions: develop a good exercise program, practice the law of attraction at night before sleep or focus on gratitude and positivity as you are drifting to sleep.
- Cell salts: Calc Fluor, Kali Phos, Nat Mur
Next month, we will consider herbs, homeopathic remedies, essential oils, and more ideas that can help with depression and seasonal affective disorder
Also, let me know if you have any requests for natural suggestions for other conditions!
Note: Everything here is for information only. This is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Seek a qualified medical professional.