“The right raw materials can… double or triple the protective power of the immune system.” – Joel Fuhrman
Your Immune System
The immune system protects your body from outside invaders. These can be things like bacteria, viruses, fungi, and toxins (chemicals produced by microbes). We hear about the immune system all the time, but did you know it is actually comprised up of different organs, cells, and proteins that work together?
Some of the organs that make up the immune system include:
- Adenoids. Two glands located at the back of the nasal passage.
- Bone marrow. The soft, spongy tissue found in bone cavities.
- Lymph nodes. Small organs shaped like beans, which are located throughout the body and connect via the lymphatic vessels.
- Lymphatic vessels. A network of channels throughout the body that carries lymphocytes to the lymphoid organs and bloodstream.
- Peyer’s patches. Lymphoid tissue in the small intestine.
- Spleen. A fist-sized organ located in the abdominal cavity.
- Thymus. Two lobes that join in front of the trachea behind the breastbone.
- Tonsils. Two oval masses in the back of the throat.
It All Starts In the Gut
Your immune system and secondary brain (primary by some arguments) are in your gut. You can help support your gut (and thus your immune system) by:
- Eating clean: Eat organic, pasture-fed food as much as possible
- Eating more fat (organic butter, coconut oil, olive oil, organic animal fats, avocados, nuts and seeds, etc.)
- Eating more fermented foods (Bragg’s apple cider vinegar, lacto-fermented pickles, lacto-fermented sauerkraut, kimchi, some yogurts, kefir, kombucha, etc.)
- Eating appropriately for your blood and metabolic type
- Eating a rainbow of fruits and vegetables
Stress – An Immune Killer
Did you know stress lowers your immune system? It is why I have been frustrated with the fearmongering going on in the media since March 2020. It is actually causing more people to get sick because they cannot get themselves out of a fear state.
Interestingly, short-term stress can actually boost the immune system’s ability to respond, but once it reaches a few days, it begins to lower the immune response. This is because stress increases our body’s inflammatory response. For a short length of time, it can help the body fight off invaders. However, inflammation creates a myriad of other health issues when it is long term.
So, what can you do to help combat stress? Here are some ideas:
- Practice meditation
- Avoid reading/watching too much news (from any source)
- Consciously take deep breaths throughout the day
- Untuck your tailbone (Dr. Hartford can help with this using various therapies)
- Exercise regularly
- Get enough sleep
- Lower your blue-screen, WiFi, 5G, EMF exposure (Health Harmonized carries orgonite that can help mitigate some of this exposure)
- Get a flower blend or take some Five-Flower Formula/Rescue Remedy, Mimulus, Rock Rose, or Red Clover flower remedies
Immune Boosters by Blood Type
If you are looking to take a more focused, powerful approach to boosting your immune system by giving your body the raw materials it needs to get stronger, this is what you are looking for.
Don’t know your blood type? You can get a home testing kit that works well here.
Boosting by blood type:
- Blood Type: A – Panax Ginseng and Reishi
- Blood Type: AB – Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero) and Maitake
- Blood Type: B – Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero) and Shitake
- Blood Type: O – Astragalus and Maitake
- For all, take 1,000mg vitamin C (split into multiple doses) daily (and take more if actively sick–up to bowel tolerance). Dr. Hartford prefers sodium ascorbate currently
Medicine Cabinet Must-Haves
Looking to make sure you have natural remedies on hand to help your immune system fight back better? Here are some of Dr. Hartford’s favorites.
- Vitamin C – Pure Synergy and sodium ascorbate are two of Dr. Hartford’s favorite types. Rose hips are also a great source and make a delicious tea.
- Glutathione– helps escort viruses out of the body
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) – helps support glutathione’s action and also helps to remove excess mucus from the body
- Herb/Mushroom for blood type
- Fire Cider
- Elderberry Syrup
- Homeopathic Remedies in 30X, 9C, or 6C potencies
- Essential Oils: Thieves / Immune Support, oregano, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus
Looking for more help? Consider scheduling an appointment today! Give us a call or a text at (734) 480-8240 or click the button below.
Like what you are reading? Follow us on Facebook!
Want to be the first to know about offers, sales, and new content?
Sign up for our newsletter!