Swimming Pool Chlorine Help
As the weather warms up, kids of all ages are looking for ways to cool down. A popular way to beat the heat is to go for a swim. As a Pisces myself, I love to swim and be in the water. But I know as well as anyone that the chlorine dumped in public and private pools is not healthy for my skin or my general body. So what to do? I will share my tips and tricks for countering the ill-effects of chlorine.
Common Symptoms of Chlorine Toxicity
- Burning in eyes, nose, or throat
- Burning skin
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing or wheezing
- Nausea or vomiting
- Watery eyes
Foods high in natural chlorine (which helps push out the bad chlorine)
- Goat’s Milk
Foods high in vitamin C
- Rose Hips
- Brussels Sprouts
Foods high in vitamin A
- Organic Butter
- Chlorine (natural)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Before: Rinse your body and hair thoroughly before swimming. Already being wet helps your body not suck in the water as soon as you jump in.
- Before: Apply a light coating of coconut oil on your skin and put a good conditioner in your hair and leave it in before swimming. This layer helps to block the permeability of your skin and hair further reducing the absorption of chlorine.
- Before and After: Drink 10-12 ounces of water before swimming and more during and after. If you are hydrated, your body won’t absorb as much of the chlorinated water.
- After: Rinse your body and hair thoroughly after swimming. Then, spray your body and hair with a water and powdered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid) solution you made in a spray bottle. Use 1 tsp powder for every 4 ounces of water. After spraying yourself down, rub the vitamin C spray in and then wash thoroughly.
- After: Once you’ve showered, get outside as soon as possible and take deep breaths with long inhalations and longer exhalations. This helps to clear the chlorine from your lungs.
- In Between: Take a good probiotic or eat lots of probiotic-filled foods. The chlorine doesn’t just kill things in the pool, it can wipe out your gut flora.
- Misc.: Essential oils: Lavender, Frankincense, Peppermint
- Misc.: Cell salts: Nat Mur, Kali Mur,
Also, let me know if you have any requests for natural suggestions for other conditions!
Note: Everything here is for information only. This is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Seek a qualified medical professional.