Swimming Pool Chlorine Help
As the weather warms up, kids of all ages are looking for ways to cool down. A popular way to beat the heat is to go for a swim. As a Pisces myself, I love to swim and be in the water. But I know as well as anyone that the chlorine dumped in public and private pools is not healthy for my skin or my general body. So what to do? I will share my tips and tricks for countering the ill-effects of chlorine.
Common Symptoms of Chlorine Toxicity
- Burning in eyes, nose, or throat
- Burning skin
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing or wheezing
- Nausea or vomiting
- Watery eyes
Foods high in natural chlorine (which helps push out the bad chlorine)
- Goat’s Milk
Foods high in vitamin C
- Rose Hips
- Brussels Sprouts
Foods high in vitamin A
- Organic Butter
- Chlorine (natural)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Before: Rinse your body and hair thoroughly before swimming. Already being wet helps your body not suck in the water as soon as you jump in.
- Before: Apply a light coating of coconut oil on your skin and put a good conditioner in your hair and leave it in before swimming. This layer helps to block the permeability of your skin and hair further reducing the absorption of chlorine.
- Before and After: Drink 10-12 ounces of water before swimming and more during and after. If you are hydrated, your body won’t absorb as much of the chlorinated water.
- After: Rinse your body and hair thoroughly after swimming. Then, spray your body and hair with a water and powdered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid) solution you made in a spray bottle. Use 1 tsp powder for every 4 ounces of water. After spraying yourself down, rub the vitamin C spray in and then wash thoroughly.
- After: Once you’ve showered, get outside as soon as possible and take deep breaths with long inhalations and longer exhalations. This helps to clear the chlorine from your lungs.
- In Between: Take a good probiotic or eat lots of probiotic-filled foods. The chlorine doesn’t just kill things in the pool, it can wipe out your gut flora.
- Misc.: Essential oils: Lavender, Frankincense, Peppermint
- Misc.: Cell salts: Nat Mur, Kali Mur,
Please don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment if you need further assistance.
Also, let me know if you have any requests for natural suggestions for other conditions!
Note: Everything here is for information only. This is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Seek a qualified medical professional.