Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Help
Multiple Sclerosis. This is a daunting diagnosis to get from a physician. The medical community will tell you there is no cure for MS and it will continually progress. The allopathic community focuses on fast symptom management to slow progression. As you know, I believe the body is amazing and can heal itself, so I do not believe anything is incurable.
There is hope. Even people deeply entrenched in the allopathic model have had recovery. For a truly inspirational story, see Dr. Terry Wahls’s story.
What Is Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis is a progressive, degenerative disorder affecting the central nervous system. This includes the brain, optic nerve, and spinal cord. In MS, the myelin sheath is destroyed and scar tissue (placques) are left resulting, ultimately, in nerve destruction.
This dis-ease has periods of flareups (exacerbations) followed by dimnished or symptom-free periods.
Though the cause isn’t fully known, it seems to be an autoimmune disease. Stress and malnutrition often precede the onset. There is some question if it may be a viral cause, though many Naturopaths reject this idea as a red herring.
In Naturopathy, we often see a chemical poisoning and poor diet as key causes. Mercury poisoning shows a similar demyelination of the nerves. Watch this video of how mercury destroys the nerves. Interestingly, the symptoms of Mad Hatter’s Syndrome are similar to those of multiple sclerosis. Further, aspartame poisoning (fake sugar) can mimic MS symptoms.
Often, removing dairy and gluten from the diet can have a positive effect.
Common Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
- Emotional changes
- Eye problems
- Numbness/tingling in extremities
- Loss of balance or coordination
- Muscular stiffness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Weakness and fatigue
- Difficulty breathing
- Trouble walking
- Leafy Greens
- Brewer’s Yeast
- Sprouts (like alfalfa)
- Fermented Foods
- 2+ tbsp Healthy Fats daily (organic butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. especially GLA or flaxseed oil or evening primrose oil)
- AVOIDS: non-organic foods, gluten, dairy, fake sugars (especially aspartame), alcohol, barley, chocolate, coffee, fried foods, oats, refined foods, rye, table salt, sugars, tobacco, wheat, processed/canned/frozen foods, MSG.
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B complex (especially B6, B12, choline, and inositol)
- Bodywork or Massage
- Sound Therapy
- Meridian Tracing
- Chakra Work
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Chiropractic Care
- Energy Work
- Light Healing Touch
- Magnets & Polarity Therapy
- Color Therapy
- Be careful letting your diagnosis define you. Community and support are wonderful, but do not allow yourself to see yourself as only someone suffering with multiple sclerosis. The victim/survivor mentality has its place in the healing process, but for your body to get better, you have to believe you can and not limit yourself.
- Work with a Naturopath and a dentist to remove amalgam fillings. This must be done carefully as the mercury is dangerous to you and to the dentist changing the filling.
- Work with a Naturopath to find food allergies or get tested for food allergies. This is believed to be a major cause of MS.
- When an exacerbation begins, take at least two full days of total bed rest. This can often stop attacks.
- Consider adding in Sole. Because sodium is very important to the elasticity in the body and Sole provides not only a good source of bioorganic sodium but all trace minerals and minerals, it can be helpful. Sole is easy to make. Fill a glass jar with about a cup or two of good salt (personally, I use a blend of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, Real Salt, and Celtic Sea Salt). Then, finish filling the jar with good, pure water. Allow it to sit overnight. In the morning, if there is still salt in the bottom of the jar, you are in business–the water is fully saturated with salt and cannot absorb any more. If there isn’t any salt left, simply add more salt and wait overnight again. Take 1 tsp of Sole on an empty stomach every morning. I add my 1 tsp to about 8 oz of water to make it easier for me to take and to get more hydration in.
- Lifestyle additions: hyperbaric chambers can be helpful, use the law of attraction and visualization to bring healing to your body, keep participating in regular exercise.
- Essential oils: Nirvana (Uttati), Quiet Mind (Uttati)
- Cell salts: Nat Mur, Kali Phos, Silica
This is a tricky dis-ease to tackle alone. A Naturopath can help you find exactly the path to help your body. Keep hope.
Also, let me know if you have any requests for natural suggestions for other conditions!
Note: Everything here is for information only. This is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Seek a qualified medical professional.