Oh the headache. It makes it almost impossible to think or function when it gets really bad. As with many conditions, headaches have a myriad of causes and are a symptom of a bigger issue.
I have empathy for anyone suffering headaches as I spent 7 years (almost all of my teen years) with a constant headache. I had surgery, tried hundreds of medications (literally, hundreds… over 70 in just one year), tried a chiropractor, tried psychotherapy, and a plethora of other treatments before I found a holistic practitioner who got rid of my headaches in 2 weeks using 3 cell salts. Crazy, right? I know! It was a blessing.
I am not saying all headaches can be handled so easily or quickly with the right treatment, but there are several things that can help headaches.
What Causes Headaches?
Dehydration: One of the most common causes of headaches is dehydration. Most of us are chronically dehydrated. This leads to a buildup of toxins and a lack of nutrition to cells because the fluids that usually do the work are stickier and slower. Aim to drink half your weight (in pounds) in ounces of water a day. This means a 150 pound woman would drink 75 ounces of water a day. Try to space out your water, drinking no more than 10-15% of your daily needs each hour. This allows for better absorption.
Stress: Another cause of headaches is stress. We live in a chronically stressed society. Many of us also do not take time to truly relax. This leads to unresolved stress which causes physical stress to our bodies. We deplete our minerals and our bodies cannot truly nourish themselves. Taking time to meditate, practice yoga nidra, or another awareness practice can do a world of good for many of us. Even just practicing deep breathing or 4-square breathing can take the pain level of a headache down.
Toxic Buildup: From our foods to our drugs to our vaccinations to our dental work to even our shopping bags, there are so many toxins and environmental poisons in our modern world. These can build up in our tissues and create health problems.
Nutritional Deficiencies: The final common cause we will consider here is a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Several B vitamins, vitamin D, iodine, potassium, magnesium (especially for migraines), and iron deficiencies all have headaches as a symptom. And that is just to name a few! Our diets are depleted and full of toxins (GMOs, pesticides, BHA/BHT, growth hormones, nitrites/nitrates, dyes/colorings, and more). It is no wonder many of us have several mineral and vitamin deficiencies. Think your cheap multivitamin will help? Think again. Most of those are not in usable forms for the body or come from waste materials from industries.
To find out which vitamins and minerals you may need, schedule an appointment.
Common Symptoms of Headaches
- Pain (mild to debilitating)
- Light/noise/odor sensitivity
- Sore neck/shoulders
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
- 2+ tbsp Healthy Fats daily (organic butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc) probiotics, adequate pure water (1/2 your body weight in ounces a day (100lbs = 50oz))
- AVOIDS: MSG, wheat, dairy, non-organic foods, gluten, tobacco, hydrogenated oils, food additives, fake sugars (especially aspartame), alcohol, barley, chocolate, coffee, fried foods, oats, refined foods, rye, table salt, sugars, tobacco, wheat, processed/canned/frozen foods.
- Vitamin B complex (especially B3, B5, B6, and B12)
- Bodywork or Massage
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Lymphatic Drain
- Chiropractic Care
- Energy Work
- Light Healing Touch
- Magnets & Polarity Therapy
- Color Therapy
- Emotional Release
- As several parasites can also cause headaches, work with your Naturopath to address these buggers.
- Work with a Naturopath and a dentist to remove amalgam fillings. This must be done carefully as the mercury is dangerous to you and to the dentist changing the filling.
- Consider sound therapy: 160Hz has been found to bring relief to many. This website can generate a tone at this frequency. Make sure the wave type (now listed as “what is this?”) is set to filtered noise.
- Feng Shui: entryways govern the head (check doors’ ability to open), clear clutter from doorways, remove tall/heavy furniture over your head, de-clutter the attic, check mirrors do not cut off your head
- Lifestyle additions: exercise, neti pot, deep breathing/4-square breathing, adequate sleep, mindfulness practices
- Essential oils: Peppermint, Rosemary, Lavender, Frankincense
- Cell salts: Ferr Phos, Mag Phos
Headaches are a painful way of your body trying to get your attention. However, with the right program, your headaches can be a thing of the past. Let us help.
Please don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment if you need further assistance.
Also, let me know if you have any requests for natural suggestions for other conditions!
Note: Everything here is for information only. This is not meant to treat or diagnose any medical condition. Seek a qualified medical professional.